Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Rocks In Your Head

Recently on vacation, just barely awake on my lounge chair beside the pool, I rolled over and noticed a wall. I was still in one of those sunny hazes, when it caught my eye. What struck me about it was the detail. Between the large rocks, there were slivers of little stones in a shape that, had I been on the beach, would have made them perfect for skimming. Each one was meticulously inserted between the larger rocks to create these capillaries, flowing around and about the blocks. I thought about the people who took the time to do this. I imagined their pride. I wondered if they took a picture of it after they set the last rock in place. I wondered if one or two of the guys took their spouses to the site to show off. I wondered if they took pictures of their section. It was pretty cool. I mean, the hotel didn’t have to build the wall like this. But these guys graced it with details -- a wall, a wall that would ordinarily just separate us, but in the end, a wall that gives something to connect us.

No comments: