Monday, February 11, 2013

A budding planner


In college, my friend Mitch and I would get stoned, make that trek to a frat party across the quad that seemed to go on and on, and play a fun game we called Back Story. I realize now that it’s not a very clever name, but we probably thought it was clever enough, everything being slightly enhanced and all.
Here’s how it worked. First thing was to wend our way to the bar, grab a plastic cup and get a beer. Then we’d locate a spot against a wall that would provide a good vantage point to scope and study the crowd for unsuspecting victims. Of course, given the hazy circumstances, I don’t remember the specifics of any of the games, but I do remember the gist of them. Let’s say, for instance, we spotted a nerd.
“See that guy?” I’d say, “his name’s Elmer.” Elmer was not his real name, of course, but since he looked to be a forerunner of today’s computer geek – which meant, at Lafayette College, that he was an engineer major – he looked like an Elmer.
“Before he went out tonight, he called his mom to ask what he should wear,” Mitch would say.
“Definitely an engineer.” And then, partially because we were in a delusion of increased perception and partially because it was just more fun, we’d add something loopy. “He’s got a twin sister named Edith – Edith and Elmer…uh…
“Norbertwinckle,” Mitch would say.
Now, if you ever got stoned in college you know how important it was to find occasion to giggle at dumb things. “Norbertwinckle” would have satisfied that need.
In terms of the game, whoever would riff the loopiest lines, the whacked-out clincher that could not (no way!) be topped, would win the round and force the loser to fetch more beer.
“Yeah, and Edith and Elmer Norbertwincle are twins. When they were in fourth grade, they had matching pocket protectors.”
                “Nice. You know, just yesterday, I saw Elmer riding across the quad on a brand new bicycle.”
                “Really now?” I’d say with a stupid grin, meaning that, as long as my reality was suspended, I was going to enjoy suspending disbelief.
                “Really. Rumor has it that one night he was walking back to his dorm and a beautiful cheerleader rode up to him on that bicycle. She threw the bike to the ground, took off all her clothes and said, ‘Take what you want!’ So he took the bike, figuring her clothes wouldn’t fit him. Really.”
                Bang zoom! Mitch did it again.
                The interesting thing was that while we usually began a round by playing into a stereotype, the subsequent lines, admittedly aided by the cannabinoids, demanded an increased dosage of imagination. The victims became real. Sort of.
                “Oh look, there’s Huxley,” Mitch said to kick off Round 2. Huxley wore a striped rugby shirt, khakis, topsiders, had blond hair – you get the picture: Huxly was a prepster.
                “I heard Huxley sends his rugby shirts to the dry cleaner and has the collar starched permanently up.”
                “I heard that when he was an infant he had baby penny loafers.”
                “I heard he has a plaid bong.”
                “No way – he doesn’t get high.”
                “Fine. I heard his family has a summer house and all the curtains are seersucker.”
                Obviously this could go on forever, but Mitch had a talent for this sort of thing.
                “I heard he formed his own glee club that only sings songs from Frampton Comes Alive,” he’d say.
                Yes, it was a cruel game. I am not proud of it. I even thought twice about admitting to it here, but, hey, this was college and our maturity was up in smoke. I brought it up because I’ve been wondering what happened to Mitch, and, as I reminisce, I think Mitch would make a good planner. He found it fun to put himself in other people’s shoes; he’d be good at bringing the consumer to the forefront of the process and our imaginations. And it would be fun to work on a project together. If I found he wasn’t so good at it, or was just a little rusty, I think I’d know how to loosen him up. And if that didn’t work out, he could always go back to the medical profession. Yes, I heard Mitch became a doctor.

No comments: