Thursday, April 21, 2016

How Do We Trump Loyalty?

     Trump has caused the smarter Republicans to think about their loyalty.
     I sympathize. Years ago, someone wanted me to do something that I wasn’t comfortable with and tried to pull the loyalty card. He couldn’t understand how I could possibly be disloyal. Which only made me more un-comfortable. Eventually, I figured out that instead of thinking in terms of loyalty, I should change the context. I should make it about right and wrong. Once I implored a higher morality, my decision, suddenly, became easy. Of course my friend still didn’t understand how I could be disloyal but I could now live with myself.
     Recently, there are republicans who don’t believe that Trump is a trustworthy candidate and yet are feeling pressure to be loyal to their party. So, what’s the right thing to do?
     The only way to counter such a powerful force is with a more powerful emotion, an emotion that beats loyalty to the team with a higher calling, something that turns defection into a positive: Courage. And once you see the opportunity to make a courageous decision, the rationale follows almost effortlessly.
     Emotion is a powerful thing. It can over ride reason. In my opinion, it can be the only explanation for Trump’s popularity. It’s a lesson for all brands.

No comments: